Things You Didn’t Know About Golden Retrievers
1. Golden Retrievers instinctively love to swim. They’re always up for a game of fetch in the lake.
2. Golden Retrievers are often used on search and rescue teams because of their keen sense of smell and tracking abilities.
3. They make great therapy dogs.
4. Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks, also known as Lord Tweedmouth, developed the breed in Scotland during the late 19th century.
5. They are considered to be the 4th smartest dog breed (in line behind Border Collies, Poodles, and German Shepherds).
6. They’re the third most popular dog breed in America.
7. They have water-repellent double coats that shed seasonally. (Brush your Golden once a week to minimize the shedding!)
8. The AKC officially recognized Golden Retrievers as a breed in 1925.
9. Presidents Ford and Reagan both had Golden Retrievers as pets while in office.
10. They are known to take care of other animals, even cats.
11. Golden Retrievers are known to become sad and even depressed when left alone for long periods of time. Experts say they shouldn’t be left alone for more than seven hours.
12. They make great watch dogs, but not-so-great security dogs. They’ll bark loudly at strangers, but once they physically interact with a person, a Golden becomes more friendly.
13. Goldens are a popular choice to star in movies and television shows because they are easy to train. (Air Bud, Full House, Homeward Bound and Duke from Bush’s Baked Beans commercials!)